Monday, November 17, 2008

You CAN find out a lot in a short time

I had to write an emergent literacy profile for a second grader based on 2 short interviews. I managed to eke out six pages (double space) based on the info I thought I had. My instructor insisted that although we only had 2 sessions, we actually accumulated LOTS of information and that the profile should be much longer. I was skeptical but goaded by him, I looked again harder. Sure enough, I did find more information. With deeper thinking, I found details I dismissed were actually relevant and revealing. I had to look hard and think hard.

I had been expecting I would get to know my classroom kids over the course of the school year and they reveal their personality over time. This is still true. But now I realize I can get to know them quite well the first few weeks of school if I put in the effort. A few minutes of interaction can reveal much if I am on the lookout. This is probably not a great revelation, but it is something I definitely want to remember.

No comments: