Monday, November 3, 2008

To Tell or Not to Tell

All right,
I am in middle school right now and with the elections, the children have been very involved. In the social studies class the children are required to watch the debates and continue a running tab on who they would vote for after each debate. Given these activities I have been bombarded with questions, "Who are you going to vote for? I like so and so, I am going to vote for that person, what about you? " I caught myself right off the bat saying you know I don't really know.... But then the child responded "ahh come on you know who you are going to vote for," I responded saying that I was going to watch the debate and then think about it some more, hoping that the child will not ask me tomorrow about who I wanted to vote for. So my dilemma is why is it that it is recommended for teachers not to talk about who they will vote for with the children.

In the Teacher magazine there is an article that discusses about teachers in Colorado that are not allowed to talk about personal voting. Why is this such an issue? I feel as if I would be able to discuss with the children about the reasons why I would vote for this person and help the children understand maybe the procedure about why one person would vote a certain way versus for the other person. I think that it could be really beneficial for the children to understand what is the procedure as well as looking at both sides. I think that it is important, to look at both sides and not just portray one party.

So my question to you is that if you have a classroom, will you share with the students who you will be voting for? Why or why not?

3 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I just read that same article. I think that it is important to keep your personal political views to yourself in the classroom. I can remember being in classrooms where the teacher was very vocal about a politician or position and it made me uncomfortable, especially if I disagreed with it.

I think it is important to stress to students the importance of participating in the political process and discuss how people choose a candidate. You could talk about things you look for in a candidate. For example -- I look for a candidate that I can respect, that I think will make good decisions, I look at their economic plan, and their stance on education and the war. Our class brainstormed things that the students felt they wanted in a candidate, then looked for positions that supported what they thought was important.

With only 54% of Americans who are eligible to vote participating in the election process, I think getting them involved in politics is important. If your own political views are aired, that may stifle their desire to air their own, especially if they disagree with yours.

12RedRoses4U said...

I have to agree with Sunshine on this one. It is important to get students involoved but we should not put them in the position of feeling they need to defend their position is how I see this issue.

T said...

I chose not to tell as I explained to the middle school students in my dyad, voting is a serious matter that I take very seriously. I don't share my opinions with the person behind me in line nor with my colleagues. Besides, my grandmother always told me never discuss sex, politics, nor religion in polite company.