Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Earning It Back.

I was recently involved in a discussion with my sister who is a teacher in Montana. We were talking about classroom management when she surprised me. She said that it is her belief that once a student incurs a consequence like the loss of a privilege, it is gone. There is no chance for them to earn it back. This is different than what I believe. It is my belief that once the student has lost a privilege they can earn it back through good behavior. It is my belief that without this possibility, what incentive does the student have to improve the behavior? My sister however, believes that if the student can earn back the lost privilege then they don't learn from the behavior. I'm sure there are many opinions out there about this and reasons behind them. I'm curious to hear what you think.

1 comment:

12RedRoses4U said...

This has been part of my reponse to discussion on the blackboard and the Growing Up Teacher Blog.


I agree students should be able to earn at least part of the privilage back otherwise there is no incentive for the student to engage for the rest of the school day.

In my main placement, the teacher writes the names on the board. That means the student misses recess, but as class continues the student has the opportunity to earn back the recess in various ways (remaining on task, not talking, completing an assignment).